The Archive

Saturday 18 October 2014

WAR PIGS

I

I have stood knee deep in mud and bone and filled my lungs with gas.
I have seen my brothers fall.
I have dug trenches for the refugees.
I have murdered dissidents where the ground never thaws and starved the masses into faith.
A child's shadow burnt into the brickwork; a house of skulls in the jungle.
The innocent: trod and bled and gassed and starved and beaten and murdered and enslaved.
This is your coming century!

They will eat them, they will make pigs of you all and they will bury their snouts into your ribs and they will eat your hearts!


II

I laid there and watched the God I had created die at the end.
When we were cold as the stone we had hewn his body from-
When the lights were nearly all extinguished-
We heard in the silent distance the pigs singing to one another.
Then, as the last lights were gone, and we lay together in the deep, they drifted away 
And all was silent... 

Such a silence I have never known.
And, as the dust settled on my open eyes,
And we lay together, embraced forever,
I heard, miles above us, the sound of the city turning over in its sleep.
A church bell ringing out,

And in that moment the new century was born.


H.E

No comments:

Post a Comment